Launch Student Film Competition
Interested in competing next year? Here's all your information about our LAUNCH Student Film Competition. The call for entries is now open. Submit here - the deadline is January 15, 2021.
LAUNCH Your Story and Watch Your Film Take Flight
We are looking for storytellers for the LAUNCH Student Film Competition with short films that are innovative, inventive, creative, original, inspiring, relevant, compelling, entertaining, thought-provoking, funny, and unique.
Do you have a great story to share? Here’s what you need to know:
- No entry fee—it’s FREE!
- Films need to be 5 minutes or under.
- Genres include animation, claymation, documentary, or narrative—it’s up to you!
- Four categories: grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12, and college undergrads.
- Winners in each of the four categories listed above receive CASH prizes!
- There are four age categories with $200 prizes for each category winner, as well as a new Rising from the Ashes category (with its own $400 cash prize!), which will highlight student films pertaining to themes of the fires that have devastated our communities this year, along with the courage involved in recovery. (Please note that your students needn’t have been directly affected by the fires to enter this category.) Students entering a film in the Rising from the Ashes category will also be considered in their age category.
- Students must live in Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, or Klamath counties in OR; Del Norte or Siskiyou counties in CA.
- Fill out the LAUNCH Entry Form
- Have a question? Check out our LAUNCH FAQs, or contact us at email@example.com.
- LAUNCH winning films from past festivals can be viewed on our website.
- The deadline to submit is January 15, 2021.
- The filmmaker will be notified if they made it into the film festival on February 12, 2021.
AIFF Supports Pride
In addition to the above categories, to celebrate diversity, identity, and discovery through the art of film, AIFF looks for outstanding student-made films that speak to the LGBTQ+ experience.
Your LGBTQ+-themed film may be about youth/adults and the issues (social, political, etc.), contemporary or historical, which affect the lives of individuals, groups, their communities, and our society-at-large.
What happens once I submit my film?
Everyone who submits a film receives two complementary film vouchers to AIFF2021!
Winners will have their film screened during the Ashland Independent Film Festival, April 15-29, 2021, receive a Filmmaker Pass and a VIP Plus One Pass to all films and special events, interact with filmmakers from around the world, and participate in Q&As after the screenings.
“You may think that only experts get their film into the film festival, but that’s not true. What they are really looking for is something that’s creative and that’s made by kids.” – Alex Meyer, 8th-grade Launch winner
This project is supported in part by a grant from the Oregon Cultural Trust
Prizes made possible by the Rotary Club of Ashland Lithia Springs.