Launch Student Film Competition
Interested in competing this year? Here's all your information about our Regional Launch Student Film Competition.
Launch Your Story and Watch Your Film Take Flight
We are looking for storytellers for the Launch Student Film Competition with short films that are innovative, inventive, creative, original, inspiring, relevant, compelling, entertaining, thought-provoking, funny, and unique.
AIFF Launch submissions can be on any subject or in any film genre – from a stop-motion trip to the moon to a documentary about the life of a flea; from a live-action sibling-comedy to an experimental glimpse into the color of bubbles; from suspenseful to silly to shocking – anything goes, provided it remains within the 5-minute limit.
Do you have a great story to share? Here’s what you need to know:
- No entry fee—it’s FREE!
- Films need to be 5 minutes or under.
- Genres include animation, claymation, documentary, or narrative - it’s up to you!
- Four categories: grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12, and college undergrads.
- Winners in each of the four categories listed above receive CASH prizes!
- Making a short film can help build confidence and open a whole new world of expression.
- There is a $200 prize for each age-category winner
- Students must live in Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, or Klamath counties in OR; Del Norte or Siskiyou counties in CA.
- Fill out the Launch Entry Form
- Have a question? Check out our Launch FAQs, or contact us at email@example.com.
- Launch winning films from past festivals can be viewed on our website.
- The deadline to submit is January 14, 2022. Contact us with questions.
- The filmmaker will be notified if they made it into the film festival on February 18, 2022. (Notification date subject to change.)
AIFF Supports Pride
In addition to the above categories, to celebrate diversity, identity, and discovery through the art of film, AIFF looks for outstanding student-made films that speak to the LGBTQ+ experience.
Your LGBTQ+-themed film may be about youth/adults and the issues (social, political, etc.), contemporary or historical, which affect the lives of individuals, groups, their communities, and our society-at-large.
What happens once I submit my film?
Everyone who submits a film receives two (2) complimentary film vouchers to AIFF2022!
Winners will have their film screened during the Ashland Independent Film Festival, April 14-28, 2022, receive a Filmmaker Pass and a VIP Plus One Pass to all films and special events, interact with filmmakers from around the world, and participate in Q&As after the screenings.
“You may think that only experts get their film into the film festival, but that’s not true. What they are really looking for is something that’s creative and that’s made by kids.” – Alex Meyer, 8th-grade Launch winner
This project is supported in part by a grant from the Oregon Cultural Trust.
Prizes made possible by the Rotary Club of Ashland-Lithia Springs.